Frequency of reporting of the epidemiology of COVID-19 reduced
From 16th May 2022 there will be a change to the frequency of reporting of the epidemiology of COVID-19 by HPSC. As previously communicated, HPSC has reviewed its COVID-19 epidemiological outputs in light of the current stage of the COVID-19 epidemic in Ireland, the change in the Government policy towards a response focused on mitigation of the severe impacts of COVID-19, and emerging priorities across other disease areas.
For the last two years, HPSC and surveillance partners have strived to provide timely COVID-19 data to stakeholders and the public. This task has been hugely resource intensive. The changes taking effect from next week will enable HPSC and surveillance partners to continue to support the response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic through priority surveillance activities for COVID-19, while also reallocating valuable resources to non-COVID priority areas.
The following changes to COVID-19 reporting will occur next week:
- The Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Ireland Data Hub will be updated weekly on Wednesdays. The Data Hub presents daily trends and will be updated to include cases, deaths and outbreaks notified on CIDR up to midnight on Tuesdays
- The Report on COVID-19 deaths reported in Ireland will be published monthly
- The Epidemiology of intensive care admissions in cases of COVID-19 in Ireland will continue to be published monthly
- The Weekly Report on the Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Ireland will continue to be published weekly presenting weekly trends on confirmed cases and those who register a positive antigen test on the HSE Positive Antigen Portal. The weekly report will also be expanded to include summary indicators on cases admitted to ICU and cases who have died.
- The Epidemiology of COVID-19 Outbreaks/Clusters in Ireland report will continue to be published weekly presenting weekly trends in outbreaks in priority settings.
- The COVID-19 Outbreaks in Nursing Homes and Community Hospitals report will be published monthly
- The Summary of COVID-19 virus variants in Ireland report will continue to be published fortnightly
- The National SARS-CoV-2 Wastewater Surveillance Programme Report will continue to be published weekly
Further changes to reporting, as appropriate to the epidemiological situation, will occur in the coming months.
We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely acknowledge and thank all surveillance and supporting staff across HPSC, Departments of Public Health, laboratories, the HSE Contact Management Programme and others for their dedication towards COVID-19 surveillance activities over the last 2 years.