Consultation on "Your Health is Your Wealth" - public health policy framework for a healthier Ireland 2012-2020
The Department of Health is developing a public health policy, which aims to improve the health of the population and reduce health inequalities by addressing the causes of preventable illnesses.
Your views are being sought on the development of this policy and you can input by answering questions which can be accessed via the Consultation Questionnaire
The aim is to develop a policy for a healthier population for all ages and all sectors in society. This policy will cover the period 2012 to 2020.
Ireland needs a national policy on public health because:
- Poor diet, a lack of physical activity, tobacco smoking and excessive alcohol consumption contribute significantly to most chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and many cancers which are forecast to double over a 20 year period.
- Improvements in life expectancy gained in recent decades are significantly threatened by rising rates of obesity.
- People in lower socio-economic groups have poorer health experience and reduced life expectancy than those who are wealthier.
- Our population is ageing and this demographic profile change presents considerable challenges.
- Major public health threats such as avian flu, swine flu and drug resistant viruses/illness (eg hospital bugs like MRSA) are increasing and demonstrate the health protection challenges faced in a globalised world.
Since many factors influence health, such as sanitation, access to health care, lifestyle choices, educational attainment, level of income and the environment it is essential that the health service, government, local government, the voluntary sector, communities and individuals work together to ensure the Irish population experiences the best of health.
Public health includes health protection, health promotion, environmental health, health surveillance, health intelligence and tackling health inequalities.
You can respond to the consultation process by email or letter. The closing date for responses is Friday 30 September 2011.
Your Health is Your Wealth: a Policy Framework for a Healthier Ireland 2012-2020 – a Short Introduction
Visit the dedicated "Your Health is Your Wealth" page on the Department of Health website.
Consultation on ‘Your Health is Your Wealth’ – A public health policy framework for a healthier Ireland 2012-2020
Public Health Policy Framework
Department of Health
Go to www.doh.ie for more information.