Point Prevalence Survey of Hospital-Acquired Infections & Antimicrobial Use in European Acute Care Hospitals 2012
In May 2012, 50 acute Irish hospitals (42 public and eight private) participated in the voluntary European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) point prevalence survey (PPS) of hospital acquired infections (HAI) and antimicrobial use. The survey was coordinated in Ireland by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) and was carried out across all of the European Union Member States
The survey was done for the following reasons:
1. To count the number of patients with a hospital-acquired infection (HAI) and describe the types of HAI most commonly encountered in Irish hospitals.
2. To count the number of patients who were prescribed antimicrobials and describe the types of antimicrobials being used in Irish hospitals.
3. To provide the Irish Government, Department of Health, Health Service Executive, the managers, doctors and nurses in all of the hospitals that took part, with information about HAI and antimicrobial prescribing practices in Irish hospitals in 2012. This information is important to plan future ways to reduce the numbers of patients who get HAI and to improve antimicrobial prescribing practices.
4. To provide members of the public with more information about HAI in Ireland and which types of infections are most commonly seen in Irish hospitals.
5. To contribute information from Ireland on HAI and antimicrobial prescribing to the overall European survey report, which is expected to be published in 2013.
The national report of the 2012 PPS is available below.
- Zika virus disease epidemic: potential association with microcephaly and Guillain-Barré syndrome – Updated risk assessment and travel advice
02 February 2016
- HALT 2016
26 January 2016
- Increase in influenza-like illness
13 January 2016
- Legionnaires' Disease - Check List for Hostels providing accommodation for people who are Homeless
08 February 2016
- Legionnaires' Disease - Checklist for Hotels and other Accomodation Sites
08 February 2016
- Invasive Meningococcal Disease, Bacterial/Viral Meningitis & Haemophilus Influenza infections in Ireland Report, Quarter 4, 2015
05 February 2016
- Influenza Surveillance Report, Week 4 2016
04 February 2016